Wednesday 6 April 2016

DAY 9 - Wanganui to Palmerston North



DAY 9 - Wanganui to Palmerston North – 212km /  12:45 total / 10:12 Riding /  20.7 kph average

I left Erika's at 6AM but it became evident I was  and it proved to be the hardest day in the saddle so far. I had to carry a lot of food as there were not many options during the remoteness today. After cycling up to Durie hill for the photo control point (to early for the elevator to be running) I then experienced freezing conditions as I made my way  to Hunterville and the Manawatu District. My hands got so cold I completely lost all strength in them. The day then became another hottie, the gravel roads dusty and rough. I struggled on over substantial rolling terrain with decent climbs to keep the legs honest and the language colourful. I passed a few other TA riders on the way but primarily this was a solo day. Finally after hours of this I reached the Manatawu plains and the blustery north-westerly propelled me towards Palmie at a much greater speed which lifted my hopes of a decent finish time. When you can sense the finishing line in sight for that day you get very tempted to "pin your ears back" which I did and pushed hard along the Manatawu cycleway.
I met little brother Tim (who is taller than I) at the finish point being Fitzherbert bridge and promptly went into a state of delirium. I was completely knackered, had very very sore knees and developing saddle sores, however after devouring 3 servings of mums yummy curry, putting anti-flam on the knees, teetree oil on the sores and having a solid 7.5 hour sleep things did change. It was great to be fussed over and I could relax and focus on the evenings recovery.




No comments:

Post a Comment