Wednesday 6 April 2016

DAY 6 – SH1/SH29 junction to Pureora



DAY 6 – SH1/SH29 junction to Pureora – 135KMS /  11.5 total hours with 8 hours riding time / 16.9k average

After a wonderful rest day at Bevan's I stopped being a ghost on the map and switched my tracker back on and proceeded through the Waikato river trail. A bacon and eggs second breakfast got me all the way to Mangikino and I passed most of the 15 TA riders who had left the Rhubarb cafe 5 minutes before I arrived.
Because I knew the river trail well I was realistic about how hard it would be. It took me the estimated 5 hours to do it and I really enjoyed the trail and the technical bits as a result. Other riders would and were severely tested and caught out by it for the lack of knowledge. The day was again another hot and humid stinker.
The only minor issues today were losing a bottle down a bank and crashing into a closed gate. I learned later that other people had also not seen the silver gate on the white gravel road either.

There was nowhere to buy food for the next 170k that I knew of so I stocked up well at the Mangikino 4 square.
After an extended break I rode with other TA riders to the centre of the North island. We were definitely in remote country now. Overgrown tracks and lots of ferns and even kaka were calling and swooping around. It was awesome for its remoteness and beauty. Today featured a heck of a lot of climbing and a considerable amount of riding was off road. The pace was slow as a result with my average speed being much lower than the other days.
After visiting the centre of the North island I pushed onto my dodgy accommodation and found it to be pretty good actually despite having to figure out from the locals where exactly the key might have been. Hot showers and a comfy bed are always welcome after a big day in the saddle. I shared the cabin  with Bryan Prestidge who rocked up without a booking not realising you needed prior arrangement. It does pay to be organised!!! Today I did feel pretty tired and slept really soundly after getting a reasonably early night. 





No comments:

Post a Comment