Wednesday 6 April 2016

DAY 11 - Lower Hutt to Nelson



DAY 11 - Lower Hutt to Nelson – 129km /  13:30 total (includes 3.5 hour ferry crossing) / 6:46 Riding time /  19.1 kph average

At first light I set off down the Hutt Valley with plenty of time to space to catch the ferry and at the interisland ferry terminal I turned around and saw Stu trotting onto the ferry after me.
I ate lots of average overpriced food on-board which was not part of the diet although the scones were very very good, and slept for the 3.5 hour crossing. I got lost trying to find my bike on the boat but managed to make it off in the end holding up the cars in the process. Stu joked that I needed to navigate the length of the country and I couldn’t find my way off the boat.

We promptly split up as I needed to find some anti-flam for my achy knees and then followed Stu’s tracker dot up along queen Charlotte drive as it wiggled around the sounds. I chose to ride the optional link track stages instead of the road which loosely followed the road but was much higher and was custom brand new built single-track meaning it took a lot longer plus I stopped to chat with the construction workers on it and proceeded towards the dreaded Maungatapu saddle climb.

At Havelock which was half way point of the section I was alerted to the fact my tracker had died. After feeding it fresh batteries and myself ice-cream I headed off and to the start of the gruelling climb for the Maungatapu saddle. I caught Stu on the climb and was very proud that I managed to ride over half way up before my legs gave out. I budgeted 1.5 hours to get to the top but it took a little less in the end. The last time I was here I climbed it the other way in the dark, cold and the rain and all alone, during the epic final evening of the kiwi brevet 2015.  This time I could see what I was doing up and down. I waited for Stu and gave an ETA to the family I was staying with in Nelson. We descended and I managed to get down the steep rocky technical descent without breaking myself or the bike. Stu got a pinch flat so I checked he was ok and smashed it out to Nelson to try and get to the accom before it it became too late. The Koevoet family were so welcoming and hospitable could not quite believe I had just cycled from Picton that afternoon. I was looking forward to having a a great rest day here tomorrow before pushing on into the depths of the south island.




No comments:

Post a Comment