Wednesday 6 April 2016

DAY 2 –Herekino to Pouto Point



DAY 2 –Herekino to Pouto Point – 225KMS / 17 hours total / 18.8k average

The problem however with staying at the school meant I was 50k behind where I intended to be on day 1. We headed off at 5:30am through the thick fog and surprisingly cold conditions. The sunrise over the far north was absolutely beautiful as we climbed above the mist and looked down at it in the valleys. I will never forget this morning.

The rest of that day turned into a 17 hour cycle with some serious climbs through the beautiful Waipoua Kauri Forest in serious heat. The goal was to get to Pouto point that night and make the 8AM ferry crossing for the next morning so I could get to the CAP offices thu afternoon. The final  25k unsealed dusty, continuously hilly road to the point was brutal and long. It took hours in the dark with tons of traffic spewing dust all over us and I was so thankful for having 2 other TA riders to spur me on and share the suffering with. We finally arrived at 10:30PM at the backpackers. It had been a 225k day, much longer than I originally anticipated however I heard later other people badly wanted to get on the ferry also since it only goes twice a day and they arrived as late as 3AM in the morning!
I have less to write here even though it potentially is the longest day I will ride on the whole trip. A lot happened but after 2-3 hours sleep the night before it all seems a bit of a blur.
I did have my first icecream of the trip today however.  Someone said they were going to sponsor my icecream eating so I am counting!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment