Wednesday 6 April 2016

DAY 3 – Pouto Point to Mangere (Auckland)



DAY 3 – Pouto Point to Mangere (Auckland) – 93KMS /  6.5 hours / 21.6k average

We were treated to a beautiful sunrise and calm still morning as we waited for the boat to take us across the Kaipara harbour. 30 riders piled onto the fishing boat and we relaxed for 3 hours until we got to Parakai. I was immediately cornered by the Burton family from church who had driven out from Torbay to find me. What a lovely surprise! Time was ticking to get to the CAP office before it closed so I pushed hard whilst eating on the bike and only stopping at Mt Eden cycles to purchase  new water bottles and get a few bike niggles fixed by the amazing mechanic (Clarke).  I was 2nd into Auckland off the boat that day.
I had been so tired the previous day I had forgotten to charge my phone and I needed it for navigation through the maze of Auckland's streets! Fortunately my solar charger provided a bit of juice and I charged it at Mt Eden cycles and CAP again.

I got through Auckland unscathed although I knew all the streets and am used to the traffic.

I made the CAP offices at 4pm, although I had to ride down great south road in rush hour (nerve racking) and take a 20k round trip detour but it was completely worth it and I was quite overwhelmed with the reception I received, the amazing cake and the interest in the ride. After learning more about CAP, eating cake and chatting I headed off to a waiting dinner of yummy Thai green curry which I had ordered via John C in the morning. Andrew rocked up to service my bike and replaced a few parts which was an absolute blessing. It was fantastic to stay with John and catchup with a few friends at the same time and have a nice comfy bed. It was nice to not finish cycling in the dark for the first time on the ride so far.








No comments:

Post a Comment